Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur Timings
|8:00 am – 6:00 pm
|8:00 am – 6:00 pm
|8:00 am – 6:00 pm
|8:00 am – 6:00 pm
|8:00 am – 6:00 pm
|8:00 am – 6:00 pm
|8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur Direction: Pali, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, 342001, India
Situated amidst the arid landscape of Rajasthan, Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur is a hidden gem that attracts travelers looking for a respite from the scorching sun and a taste of the natural beauty of Rajasthan. Located only 60 kilometers southeast of Jodhpur, this man-made lake not only quenches the thirst of the region but also provides a serene and picturesque retreat for tourists. In this blog post, we will learn about the breathtaking beauty, history, and attractions that make Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur a must-see place.
Origin and history of Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur
Sardar Samand Lake, also known as Sardar Samand Reservoir, is an artificial lake built by Maharaja Umed Singh of Jodhpur in the 1930s. The primary purpose of creating this lake was to provide a source of water for the local wildlife and to serve as a hunting ground for the royals. The lake takes its name from the then Maharaja of Jodhpur, Sardar Singh, and the word 'Samand', which means "pond" in the local language.
Over the years, Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur has developed into much more than just a hunting ground. Today, it stands as a tranquil oasis, attracting nature lovers, bird watchers, and travelers seeking the natural beauty of Rajasthan.
The natural beauty of Sardar Samand Lake
The biggest feature of Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur is its natural beauty. The lake is surrounded by rolling hills, lush forests, and a variety of flora and fauna. The pristine blue waters of the lake contrast brilliantly with the surrounding arid landscape, creating a surreal and picturesque sight.
The lake is surrounded by trees like Acacia, Neem, and Papal, which not only add to the scenic beauty but also provide shelter to a variety of bird species. It is common to see migratory birds such as pelicans, cranes, and flamingos, especially during the winter months when they flock to the lake in search of food and water. Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur will be a paradise for bird watchers, providing a unique opportunity to see these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat.
Sardar Samand Mahal
Sardar Samand Palace, originally a hunting lodge built by Maharaja Umed Singh, is now a heritage hotel that offers a royal experience to visitors. Situated on a hill overlooking the lake, the palace is a magnificent example of Rajput architecture, with intricate carvings, ornate balconies, and stunning views of the lake and its surroundings.
Staying at Sardar Samand Palace is like stepping back into the era of Rajput royalty. The palace has been beautifully preserved and has been converted into a hotel with modern amenities while retaining its old charm. Guests can enjoy sumptuous Rajasthani cuisine, enjoy a refreshing swim in the pool, or relax in the lush gardens.
While Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur is primarily known for its tranquility, it also offers a variety of adventure activities for thrill seekers. The rugged terrain around the lake provides an excellent backdrop for activities like trekking and off-roading. Many tourists rent jeeps to explore the nearby hills and trails, making it an adrenaline-pumping experience.
Additionally, the lake itself is perfect for sailing. Boating or sailing in the calm waters of Sardar Samand Lake is a tranquil experience that allows visitors to get up close and personal with the rich bird life and natural beauty of the area. Boating also provides the opportunity to capture some breathtaking photographs.
Sardar Samand Lake is not just about natural beauty and adventure; It is also a place where travelers can immerse themselves in the rich culture and traditions of Rajasthan. The local villages surrounding the lake are home to warm and welcoming communities who are happy to share their way of life with visitors.
You can visit the village to interact with the local people, watch traditional folk dance and music performances, and even attend cooking classes to learn how to prepare authentic Rajasthani dishes. This cultural exchange is a unique aspect of a visit to Sardar Samand Lake, providing a more enriching travel experience.
Sardar Samand Wildlife Sanctuary
Apart from its natural and cultural attractions, Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur is also home to the Sardar Samand Wildlife Sanctuary. Spread over an area of approximately 1200 square kilometers, this sanctuary is dedicated to the conservation of wildlife in the area.
The sanctuary is home to various species of animals including chinkara, black buck, and blue bull. If you're lucky, you might even spot leopards and sloth bears. The bird life in the sanctuary is equally diverse, making it a paradise for bird watchers and wildlife lovers.
The best time to visit Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur
The best time to visit Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur is during the winter months from October to March. The weather during this period is pleasant, with day temperatures ranging between 20 °C to 30 °C, making it ideal for outdoor activities and sightseeing. Additionally, the winter season attracts migratory birds, adding an additional layer of beauty to the lake.
The summer months, from April to June, can be scorching and temperatures reach above 40 °C, making it less conducive to outdoor activities. The monsoon from July to September can be unpredictable, and the lake's water level may rise, affecting access to some areas.
How to reach Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur?
Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur is conveniently located about 60 kilometers southeast of Jodhpur, a major city of Rajasthan. The nearest airport is Jodhpur Airport, which is well connected to major cities of India. From the airport, you can hire taxis or take pre-arranged transfers to reach the lake.
If you are traveling by train, the nearest railway station is Jodhpur Railway Station, which is connected to major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, and Jaipur. From the railway station, you can hire a taxi or take a local bus to Sardar Samand Lake.
Best places to visit near Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur
Sardar Samand Lake, located about 60 kilometers southeast of Jodhpur in Rajasthan, is surrounded by an area rich in cultural and historical significance. While the lake itself is a serene and beautiful destination, there are many other attractions and places to visit nearby that can enhance your travel experience. Here are some of the best places to visit near Sardar Samand Lake:
- Jodhpur City: Since Sardar Samand Lake is relatively close to Jodhpur, it is an excellent opportunity to explore the "Blue City" of India. Jodhpur has many attractions, including the majestic Mehrangarh Fort, Jaswant Thada, Umaid Bhawan Palace, and the bustling local markets of Sardar Market and Clock Tower.
- Mehrangarh Fort: This iconic fort of Jodhpur is one of the largest forts in India and offers a panoramic view of the city. Explore its well-preserved palaces, museums, and historic architecture.
- Umaid Bhawan Palace: Visit this stunning palace, which serves as both a luxury hotel and a museum. This is a great place to learn about the royal history of Jodhpur and admire its grand architecture.
- Jaswant Thada: Often called the "Taj Mahal of Marwar", Jaswant Thada is a beautiful marble monument that honors the memory of Maharaja Jaswant Singh II. The intricate architecture and peaceful gardens make it a tranquil place for reflection.
- Sardar Market: Immerse yourself in the local culture by exploring the bustling Sardar Market in Jodhpur. You can shop for handicrafts, textiles, spices, and other souvenirs.
- Clock Tower: Located in the heart of the old city of Jodhpur, the Clock Tower is a major landmark. The surrounding market area is a vibrant hub for shopping and experiencing the city's street food.
- Mandore Garden: Just a short distance from Jodhpur, Mandore Garden is known for its beautiful temples, monuments, and lush gardens. It is a peaceful place to spend a few hours and learn about Rajput history.
- Osian: A historic oasis town located about 65 km from Sardar Samand Lake, Osian is known for its ancient temples. Sachchiya Mata Temple and the Jain Temple of Osian are important attractions.
- Khichan Bird Sanctuary: Located about 110 kilometers from Sardar Samand Lake, this bird sanctuary is famous for hosting thousands of migratory Demoiselle cranes during the winter months. Bird-watching enthusiasts will find this place attractive.
- Kaylana Lake: Located just 10 kilometers west of Jodhpur, Kaylana Lake is another picturesque water body worth visiting. It is a tranquil place for a leisurely stroll or boating.
- Bishnoi Village: The Bishnoi community is known for its commitment to environmental protection and its unique lifestyle. You can go on a guided tour to explore the Bishnoi villages, interact with the local people, and learn about their traditions.
- Sachiya Mata Temple (Osian): Located in Osian village, this ancient temple is dedicated to Goddess Sachiya. Its exquisite architecture and religious significance make it a must-see attraction.
- Khejarla Fort: Located about 90 kilometers away from Sardar Samand Lake, Khejarla Fort is a heritage hotel that also offers guided tours to explore the history and architecture of the fort.
These nearby attractions complement the tranquility of Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur and provide a holistic experience of the rich culture, history, and natural beauty of Rajasthan. When planning your trip to Sardar Samand Lake, consider extending your stay to see these amazing sites in and around Jodhpur.
Restaurants near Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur
While Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur itself offers dining options, you can find more extensive options by traveling to Jodhpur, which is about 60 kilometers away. Jodhpur, also known as the "Blue City", is famous for its vibrant culinary scene with a variety of restaurants serving authentic Rajasthani cuisine and other Indian and international cuisines. Here are some popular restaurants in and around Jodhpur that you can check out:
- Chokelao Mahal Terrace Restaurant: Located within the Mehrangarh Fort, this restaurant offers breathtaking views of the city and serves a mix of Indian and continental cuisine. It is an ideal place for a memorable dining experience.
- Indic Restaurant: Located within the Pal Haveli in Jodhpur, Indic serves North Indian and Rajasthani cuisine on a rooftop terrace with panoramic views of the fort and the city.
- On the Rocks: This restaurant at Umaid Bhawan Palace serves a variety of dishes including Indian, Asian, and European cuisine. The beautiful ambiance and royal setting make it a special dining option.
- Gypsy Dining Hall: Located inside Ajit Bhawan, this restaurant offers a fine dining experience with a variety of Indian and Rajasthani specialties. The ambiance is reminiscent of a traditional Rajput dining hall.
- Splendid Sweet Home: This local eatery in Jodhpur is famous for its traditional Rajasthani snacks and sweets, including mirchi vada, kachori, and jalebi. This is a great place to experience authentic flavors.
- Janta Sweet Home: Another popular local spot, Janta Sweet Home serves delicious Rajasthani thali and snacks at budget-friendly prices. Don't forget to try their famous Onion Kachori.
- Jharokha Café and Lounge: Located near Mehrangarh Fort, this café offers a variety of Indian and international cuisine. A wonderful view of the fort is visible from its terrace.
- At Home: Located near the Clock Tower in Jodhpur, this restaurant specializes in Indian and continental cuisine. It is known for its warm hospitality and comfortable ambiance.
- Darikhana: Inside the Umaid Bhawan Palace, Darikhana offers a royal dining experience with a mix of Indian and international cuisine. The setting is spectacular and historic.
- Kalinga Restaurant: This restaurant is known for its authentic vegetarian Rajasthani thali. This is a great place to taste a variety of local cuisine in a traditional setting.
- Gopal Sweets: If you have a sweet tooth, Gopal Sweets is the place to go for a wide range of Indian sweets and snacks. Their sweets are particularly popular.
- Risala: Located in the Ajit Bhawan Palace, Risala offers a fine dining experience with a focus on North Indian cuisine. The ambiance is beautiful, making it perfect for special occasions.
- Café Mehran: Located near the Mehrangarh Fort, this café offers a casual setting with a menu that is a mix of Indian, Continental, and Chinese cuisine. This is a great place for a casual meal.
Please note that it is a good idea to check the hours of operation and make a reservation, especially during peak tourist season, as some of these restaurants can be busy. Additionally, when you are in Jodhpur remember to explore the local street food and market stalls for authentic Rajasthani snacks and dishes.
Hotels near Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur
Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur is a beautiful and serene destination located near Jodhpur. Although there are limited accommodation options near Sardar Samand Lake, you will find a wide range of hotels and resorts in Jodhpur, the nearest major city, located about 60 kilometers away. Here are some hotels and resorts in Jodhpur where you can stay during your visit to Sardar Samand Lake:
- Umaid Bhawan Palace: One of the most luxurious hotels in Jodhpur, Umaid Bhawan Palace offers a royal feel. It is a former palace and displays stunning architecture, beautiful gardens, and world-class facilities.
- Taj Hari Mahal: This luxurious hotel from the Taj Group offers a blend of modern comforts and traditional Rajasthani hospitality. It has well-furnished rooms, a spa, and a variety of dining options.
- Vivanta Jodhpur (by Taj): A contemporary hotel from the Taj group, Vivanta offers comfortable rooms, fine dining options, and a location that allows easy access to Jodhpur's attractions.
- Umaid Jodhpur Palace Resort & Spa: Located near the airport, this resort offers spacious rooms, a swimming pool, spa facilities, and multiple dining options. It is ideal for both leisure and business travelers.
- Ras Jodhpur: Located on the grounds of Mehrangarh Fort, this boutique hotel offers a blend of modern and traditional design elements. The rooftop restaurant offers a wonderful view of the fort.
- Indana Palace Jodhpur: This luxury resort offers a range of amenities including a spa, swimming pool, and multiple dining options. It is located a short distance from the city center.
- Hotel Ajit Bhawan: A heritage hotel with a royal touch, Ajit Bhawan offers comfortable rooms, a restaurant serving Rajasthani cuisine, and an outdoor pool.
- Mango Hotels - Jodhpur: A mid-range hotel with modern amenities, Mango Hotels offers comfortable accommodations and an in-house restaurant. This is a good option for budget-conscious travelers.
- Shri Ram International: Located in the heart of Jodhpur, this hotel offers comfortable rooms, a multi-cuisine restaurant, and easy access to the city's attractions.
- Rajputana Palace: A budget-friendly hotel with clean and comfortable rooms, Rajputana Palace offers value for money and is located near the railway station.
- Kalinga Hotel: This mid-range hotel offers decent rooms, a restaurant, and a central location in Jodhpur.
- Zone By The Park Jodhpur: A contemporary hotel with modern amenities, Zone By The Park offers comfortable accommodations, a rooftop restaurant, and a vibrant atmosphere.
To ensure a pleasant stay while exploring Sardar Samand Lake and Jodhpur attractions, remember to check the availability, rates, and reviews of these hotels in advance, especially during the peak tourist season.
Conclusion on Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur
Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur, with its picturesque natural beauty, rich history, and cultural experiences, is a destination that showcases the diverse offerings of Rajasthan beyond its famous deserts and palaces. Whether you are a nature lover, history lover, thrill seeker, or just looking for peaceful relaxation, Jodhpur's Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur has something to offer you. It is a place where time stands still, allowing you to enjoy the peace and magic of a less-explored side of Rajasthan. So, next time you plan a trip to Rajasthan, make sure to include Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur in your itinerary and discover this hidden oasis in the desert.
Note*: All the above information on Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur is gathered from different sources of the internet for Providing information to the visitors. Prices may be different or changed by the Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur owner. Please check the prices of Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur earlier than traveling or Booking. Jaipurchalo does not guarantee expenses or the availability of Entry fees. The list of photographs proven On this page of Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur has been digitized through Jaipurchalo. Visitors are free to download The Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur images and save these images, but no longer use these digital documents (watermarked by the Jaipurchalo logo) for any business purpose, except with prior written permission of Jaipurchalo.
If you like this article on Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur then share it with your friends and family members to appreciate our works and help others.
Sardar Samand Lake Jodhpur: entry fees, timings, address 0 reviewsWrite Your Review
There are no reviews yet.